Meringue Christmas Trees
These pretty?Meringue Christmas Trees?make a unique gift for friends and family – plus, they’re sure to impress Santa on Christmas Eve!
- 3 egg whites
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
- ? teaspoon cream of tartar
- ? cup sugar
- ? teaspoon vanilla extract
- Green food dye
- Heat oven to 200 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, combine the egg whites, salt and cream of tartar with a hand or stand mixer. Use a whisk attachment to whisk the egg whites on medium speed until foamy, soft peaks start to form.
- Slowly add sugar about 1 tablespoon at a time, then increase the speed to high and whisk the meringue mixture until sugar is dissolved and stiff peaks have formed.
- Whisk in vanilla, then fold in green dye until it reaches your desired color.
- Place a large star piping tip into a piping bag and fill with the meringue. Start by piping the base of the tree (approximately 2 inches in diameter), then slowly lift the tip and create another smaller platform, then another even smaller layer (forming a tree shape). Decorate as desired.
- Bake for 2 hours, then turn the oven off and let them sit in the oven for another hour.
Tips & Notes
If you wish to create the two-tone tree look, line your piping bag with green food coloring gel. As you pipe your trees, you will get streaks of color.