Cutout Christmas Cookies
Holiday baking season wouldn’t be complete without classic?Cutout Christmas Cookies. And kids will especially love helping out with the royal icing and sprinkles.
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- ? cup sugar
- ? cup powdered sugar
- 1 egg, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ? teaspoon almond extract
- 2 ? cups all-purpose flour
- ? teaspoon sea salt
- ? teaspoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoons meringue powder
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 6-8 tablespoons water
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugars with a hand or stand mixer, until light and fluffy, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the egg, vanilla and almond extract and mix, then add dry ingredients and mix until combined.
- Cut the dough in half and flour a piece of parchment paper. Roll the dough out to ? inch thick, then place on a baking sheet. Do the same with the other half of the cookie dough, rolling out onto another piece of parchment paper. To save space in the fridge, place the second half on top of the other rolled-out half, and cover the entire baking sheet with plastic wrap. Chill for a minimum of 1 hour.
- Using a cookie cutter shape of your choice, cut out your cookies and place on a baking sheet. Bake for 12 to 14 minutes, or until slightly browned around the edges. If you have excess dough, you can reshape it into a ball and roll it out again to cut out more cookies.
- To make the royal icing, combine all ingredients in a large bowl with a hand or stand mixer until combined. When you lift the whisk, the icing should drizzle down and flatten out in 5 to 10 seconds. If it’s too thick, add more water (in very small amounts). If it’s too thin, add more powdered sugar.
Serving size: 1 cookie|Calories: 165g|Sodium: 80mg|Fat: 6.4g|Carbohydrates: 25.7g|Fiber: 3g|Protein: 1.5g|